Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ahhhh...

I love finishing projects, especially ones I've had on my "To Do" list for a long while. Sometimes projects take longer than they should, and others jump to the front of the line begging to be started even though there are other, more necessary, things to do. Yesterday's golden stars were some of the line jumpers, but today's project has been on the list for a while, and really needed to be done.

My mom makes quilts for the people she loves. She makes them all colors and styles and types of fabrics. She pours her heart and love into them, so whenever we use them, it's like getting a hug just from her. Well, Scott's hug had gotten more than a little tattered and worn. The denim front was fine, but the flannel backing had been torn and some of the batting was falling out of the quilt. Scott wanted to take the quilt with him to college, but it needed some work, so he left it home.

I spent part of a General Conference session ripping the backing and batting from the quilt front. Then I bought 4 yards of Polar Fleece and sewed them together to make the back. I chose Polar Fleece because then I wouldn't have to put batting in it. Then I laid the whole thing out on the living room floor and tied it together with yarn. I don't have quilt frames, so I just kept smoothing the denim and the fleece to remove wrinkles as I went. Then I trimmed the edges of the fleece to match the finished edges of the denim front, and edged the whole thing with the multi zig zag stitch to make sure all of the edges got caught.
















Now Scott has his quilt with hugs inside it from both Grandma and mom. Tad's taking it to him this weekend. He's anxiously waiting for it, because his dorm room is starting to be very cold. He'll be glad to have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment