Monday, January 31, 2011

Help! I'm Quilting and I Can't Stop!

Tad is away this week attending a 40 hour HazMat class, so I'm having all my days to myself again. It's just like he's gotten a job, but not getting paid. Oh well. He's out of the house, and that's a good thing.

I've made another quilt block today, since I decided yesterday that I might as well use all of the quilt blocks that I made 4 years ago, and make a second baby quilt. I had to make another block today because, of the 13 blocks I made 4 years ago, 3 of them were the wrong size and you can't have blocks varying in size in a quilt--not if you don't plan for it. I didn't. So I picked my five favorites using all the fabric colors, made one more, and I will put them together in the same quilt. That's the posting from Thursday. Today I took the remaining 5 correctly sized blocks,
Prairie Queen
 Variable Star
 Rocky Mountain Puzzle
 Checkered Heart
 Album
 made 1 more block--Charm
and now have enough blocks to make baby quilt #2. I spent several hours last night calculating fabric requirements to finish these 2 quilts and I should have enough fabric to border, back and bind both quilts. When I first started learning to make these quilt blocks, I intended to make a table runner--4 blocks. Then I had the BRILLIANT (not!) idea to make a queen quilt for our bed. Ummm, no. I nearly had enough blocks, and I even bought all the fabric necessary to border, back and bind it, (6 3/8 yards worth) but I decided I didn't want to have it on our bed. Besides, like I mentioned earlier, 3 of the blocks ended up the wrong size, and I don't enjoy quilting enough to re-create them again. Then, I thought about making a quilt for Hailey's bunk bed, but knew it would look bad if I only had a quilt on one bunk (like it actually is, right now) and she didn't seem interested in having a quilt. There are some really cute comforters out there, and she wanted one of those, instead. So I shelved the quilt for 4 years.

Enter a tiny little girl who has been the inspiration I've needed to get these quilts out of the top of the closet and rethink things. This is how I've decided to make the crib quilt(s). Besides making me feel better about myself, I won't have to worry about my quilt teacher asking me about their progress any more. She's nice, but it's rather embarassing that I haven't gotten them done. And now I'll have two of them! Then I don't ever plan to make another quilt again, at least not a pieced block quilt. This is just too fiddly for me and I'll be glad to be done.

1 comment: