Friday, January 14, 2011

Fixing Mistakes

After I wrote the last post, I started working on the crib sheets, using the fabric in the pictures. I've made tons of crib sheets. They are, for me, a no-brainer. Well, not this time. I usually fold the fabric in quarters and then cut the 9" squares from the corners in one fell swoop using my Olfa. Again, a no-brainer. Except this time, I miscounted and cut 8"x9" from one of the fabrics. Not a problem. Right. Instead of trimming the short side to make a 9" square, I trimmed from the long edge--and made the cut 8"x10". Not a good thing. That's not something that can be bullied into turning itself into a 9" square. I sewed it anyway, but it's wonky. The tricky part is, I bought the fabric in November. Fabric at Walmart, at least fabric that I might ever want to use again, has a fast turnover rate. It was gone from our Ammon Walmart when I looked for it last week. We happened to be in the IF Walmart last night and I found the bolt of fabric on the clearance table. I snatched up another piece in a hurry so that I can redeem myself. I'll probably use the fabric from the bad sheet to make a diaper stacker or scrapbook cover or something. It won't go to waste, it's just frustrating to have my perfect record tarnished. Today, barring some unforeseen brain cloud on my part, I'll be serging the edges of 2 pieces of flannel to make receiving blankets. Again, these are things I've made several of, so there shouldn't be a problem. *Fingers and toes crossed*

We went to the Temple Visitor's Center last night to see the new exhibit there. It's entitled "Reflections of Christ" and is a collection of  photos by Mark Mabry depicting scenes in the life of the Savior. The photos are beautiful, and now I'm interested to see the book, which is at Seagull Book, and even the DVD. (This image is from the new 2011 calendar available at Deseret Book) We went as a belated FHE activity. We had our lesson Monday night, but didn't have time for an activity. We wanted to take advantage of it while Scott was still here, and on an evening when Mom and Dad were at the Center. It was a lovely display, and I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment