Monday, December 12, 2011

Fun

After a rough start this morning, today has ended up being a pretty good day. I've spent some time with my son, run a couple of errands, ironed my quilt tops in preparation for finishing them tomorrow, and made a couple of bow ties. I know that sounds funny, but true. There is a gentleman named Virgil in our ward, who is of the grandfatherly sort. He often wears bow ties to church. He put the word out last week that yesterday was to be "Bow Tie Sunday". If you have a bow tie, wear it. If you can find, borrow, steal, rent or otherwise acquire a bow tie, wear it. Scott wanted to join the fun, but didn't have a bow tie, so I told him to borrow one from Ben, one of our friends in the ward. He talked to Ben at the ward dinner Saturday night, and asked if he had one to borrow. Ben showed up to church yesterday with a bow tie he'd sewn for Scott, to keep. Well, this started to snowball, and probably half the young men in the ward wore a bow tie to church yesterday, and several of the men had one, too. Once we got home from church yesterday, Scott started thinking about how fun it would be to have more than one bow tie. I looked through my meager fabric scrap stash, and found some Christmas print fabric. Scott decided he wanted a Christmas bow tie, just to be seasonal. He picked another fabric scrap and put it into the "to do" pile. After that, he thought that maybe one or two "silky" ties might be nice. We put that onto our "errands to run" list today, and went to JoAnn to buy a little fabric.
Today, after running errands, I took the bow tie Ben had made, traced a pattern and cut out the Christmas print fabric. Come to find out, those silly things are ridiculously easy, and quick. I can make one in about 5 minutes. It takes longer to tie them than to sew them. After Ben showed us how to tie Scott's at church, we came home to practice. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy. I talked to Tad this afternoon, and he thought it might be fun to have a Christmas bow tie, too. Done!

This lavender tie is the one Ben sewed for Scott.


This gingerbread man print is Scott's Christmas tie.


This jingle bell print is Tad's Christmas Tie.


This is the pattern I drafted from Ben's original.


I have gotten a couple other projects done, too. I made a soft fabric book for Evie that matches the fabric I used for her nursery. She'll like it. Tiny little girls like this kind of thing for Christmas, especially when they are going to turn 9 months old next week. I can't wait to kiss that tiny girl. The girls are coming home for Christmas. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment