Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Whoosh!

After all the waiting and preparations, Tad had left for his training. He left Sunday afternoon and arrived there about 9:00 pm. These first few days are spent doing paperwork and payroll chores. He had a DOT physical before he left, but for some reason needs another one today. Apparently to get a CDL requires a special medical checkup. Who knew?

Hailey and I spent our first day alone running a few errands and taking care of the usual around the house. Of course, because daddy has left the building, there has already occured a crisis. Our dishwasher picked yesterday afternoon to quit working--mid cycle, and of course, full of semi-clean dishes. Hailey was right in the middle of fixing dinner, needed something out of the dishwasher, popped it open like we often do, shut it again so that it could continue the wash cycle, and water began pouring out of the bottom of the door. Not just a little flood of water, a BIG flood of water. I don't know if something is blocking the inside drain, but the water INTAKE is, of course, still working. Unfortunately the Cancel button refuses to work, so as soon as we close the door, it fills with more water. I had to bail it out twice yesterday to stop the flow of water. This seems like a very dodgy situation, but I cannot see the water shutoff under the sink, nor can I find an external power switch to shut the whole thing off, and it's not on its own circuit, so I can't just flip a switch in the garage. The only thing I CAN do is block it open, but it's very inconvenient and hard to work around. Neither Hailey or I minds washing a few dishes by hand, so we don't have a problem that way, it's just very ironic. Maybe we should have had him pronounce a blessing on the house, as well as us.

Summer has finally arrived, interspersed with cold and rainy days, but the warm days are glorious and I throw the windows open every day to enjoy the fresh air. Tad threatened to install the AC unit before he left, but I gave him the evil eye and he didn't do it. I rarely feel the need to run it, but he likes it. I figure that he'll be here so infrequently that I'm not going to worry about him installing it, at least for a while.

Hailey has been enjoying her summer break so far, spending many afternoons and evenings with her group of friends, or playing night games. I'm glad that she's got such a good group of friends. She is also planning and preparing for Girls' Camp which will be the week after next. Jessie arrives here Sunday evening and Hailey will get to spend a week with her before Girls' Camp, then I'll get to hold Evie part of the following week. I'm going to have to stock up on extra snuggles and hugs with both Jessie and Evie, since as soon as they return to Orem, they will pack their bags and move to Colorado to live with Todd's sister and her family. It will be an opportunity for Todd to find a job, pay off some of his student loans, and eventually find a house for them. It nearly breaks my  heart to think of them being farther away. I'll just have to make plans to go and visit them regularly.

With  Tad being away, I've been thinking and making lists of things to do while he'll be gone, because I'll have so much time on my own. I've got lots of ideas about cleaning and decluttering and even fixing up a few things, once we have a little extra money to play with. I've got a couple of ideas to surprise Tad with, and I'm really excited about them. We'll see  how all of the Crafty Genius plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment