Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Corny Story

Mom called last week to let me know that their corn was on, and asked if I wanted to come get any to freeze. I drove down to Firth Thursday morning and my sister, Cheryl, and her daughters were already there at mom and dad's, shucking the corn. Dad had picked a big basketful and mom assured us it would be more than enough. Since we are a small household, I just did small, 1 Cup bags, and Cheryl did larger bags. We wiped the silk from the ears, chased the earwigs away
and dropped them into boiling water.
After a 6 minute bath they were transfered to cold water to cool.
When they were cooled enough to handle, they were ready to cut. Cheryl had her sharp knife, and she cut the kernels off the cobs while I scooped and measured corn into the bags. Amy held the bags while I poured the corn into them.
I came away with 12 bags of corn, and Cheryl got 13 bags. There was more corn in the garden, but this is a nice amount to put into the freezer. This is the best corn, and it'll be good to have a taste throughout the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment