Friday, September 24, 2010

LUST

I'm going to be a grandmama. In about 6 months. My oldest daughter, Jessica, called us recently to share the good news, and we are getting very excited to become grands. It's caused a real shift in my thinking and perspective. I used to be completely consumed with the idea of motherhood. We had even considered, occasionally, the idea of adopting another child. With Jessie's call, however, that idea and desire went completely away, and now I find myself thinking of things I can to do prepare for being a grand, things I can do as a grand, and even the idea of multiple grands. (Take your time, Scott and Hailey--there's no rush!)

I had heard of one woman creating a "Grandma's Hope Chest" and ever since, I've been completely taken with the idea of doing it myself. I've started collecting things like Onesies, cloth diapers, a few board books and even a stuffed teddy bear. I've planned to resurrect my 3 year old quilt project and make a quilt for Jessica and one for my hope chest. All these ideas are fun, and I've not been feeling any pressure to hurry out to buy anything...until now.


My husband, Tad, and I went to Walmart the other evening, and were walking by the toy department on our way to buy potting soil in the garden center, when "WHAM"! It hit me, square in the face, a display of Fisher Price Barn Toy sets. (Not literally, I'm fine.) There was a stack of these brightly colored boxes containing barns, silos and a handful of animals and little people. I was immediately transported back to my childhood. I remembered playing with the barn toy at other people's houses (mom and dad didn't get ours until I was rather too old to enjoy it) and how much fun it was to corral the animals, open and close the barn doors hearing the "Moo" sound, and drive the farmer on the tractor. I know I enjoyed this toy as a child, and suddenly, seeing the new toy sets in the store, I realized something.
I've gotta get me one. Maybe I'll even let the grands use it, but I want one. NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment